Thursday, July 17, 2014

Ricky Coogin

First appearance: Freaked (a.k.a. Hideous Mutant Freekz, 1993)

On his way to help the E.E.S. (Everything Except Shoes) Corporation promote Zygrot-24, Ricky Coogin and his pal Ernie cross paths with a group of anti-Zygrot-24 protestors lead by the attractive environmentalist, Julie.  Having tricked Julie into believing they are environmentalists too, on their way to protest Zygrot they head into the wilds of Santa Flan, where a side trip to Elija C. Skruggs' Freekland changes their lives. Mutations and mutilations ensue!

The creature designs in this are hilarious. Mr. T plays a Bearded Lady. Keanu Reeves plays a dog!
Not really a movie for everyone, most people probably won't really get the appeal to it. It's weird, juvenile and occasionally a little gross, but with a message: "Even if you don't like macaroons, you should probably eat one if everyone else is doing it."

I actually remember going to see Darkman on its opening night and seeing posters and banners al over the theatre announcing the release of Hideous Mutant Freekz. My friends and I decided to make sure we could get to the theatre to see HMF when it came out. Sadly it never did. A few years went by and I saw a videotape at the local Videoflix called "Freaked" and thought to myself "That looks kinda familiar." Since there weren't any other horror flicks new that week I gave it a shot. Much to my surprise it turned out to be Hideous Mutant Freekz. Turns out the studio was scared about how weird the movie was so they pulled it's theatrical release re-named it and eventually dumped it onto VHS.


2 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of this movie, hilarious and bizarre. I would love to see more of the characters done in your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this flick.

      Delete