Thursday, October 31, 2013

Tarman

First appearance: Return of the Living Dead (1985)

A couple of boobs working at a medical supply company accidentally break open a military issue container containing one of the corpses from the military experiment that was the inspiration for George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead. Based on a true story.

This is probably my favorite zombie movie, although when I first saw it I hated it. I was firmly in the shambling, flesh eating zombie camp at the time. I thought it was really dumb that these zombies could talk and only wanted to eat brains. Over the years it grew on me. I think it's because of the how well the combination of horror and comedy work. I'd say this and American Werewolf in London are the best examples of horror comedies. The scares work and the laughs work and neither gets in the way of the other.
It's also interesting to note that the whole pop-culture "zombies say 'Brrraaaiiinnnsss'" thing is directly inspired by this movie. Up until RotLD zombies were mute, shambling corpses.


No comments:

Post a Comment